"Happiness Lies, First Of All, In Health." ~ George William Curtis

Welcome to my network of health and healing




Monday, April 26, 2010

UNIT-9


I Introduction:
Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically?
As a wellness professional it is important that I am mentally alert and within control of emotions. It is imperative that I understand stress, stress management, crisis and what it does to the body. My knowledge and wisdom is the start of learning integral health. From past experiences I have learned that the counselor and the client are able to transference and countertransference the exchange of emotions and feelings. These are productive learning tools for both the client and the professional. One main goal is that I am able to teach and empower my client. I am more easily able to direct someone if I know what direction or path that needs to be taken. It is important to have a strong and healthy body that is energized and vibrant. When I am providing the client advice on diet and exercise it is essential that I am looking fit and feeling good, this is a reinforcement as I transfer energy to them. Spirituality is so very personal and individualized that the wellness professional should certainaly have a discernment of the human spirit. Sometimes an individual is sick spiritually and doesn’t realize that spiritual support is the key to their healing. If the wellness professional has a spiritual awareness that understands and has a oneness with Jesus Christ then the client will more likely find the healing they are seeking.

What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

I need to continue developing in all the areas especially in the spiritual area because this is the area where I feel the most called to. I need to have a more productive prayer life. I need to make more time for God and most of all I need to develop my spiritual gifts I have in me as I flourish in my calling to the ministry of helping people. I need to continue to maintain a diet and exercise chart and losing weight until I have met my weight loss goals. Increasing my mental awareness of myself and others will help develop a strong positive, and trained mental awareness.

II Assessment:
How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness
spiritually, physically, and psychologically?

I have assessed myself on what I am doing and the efforts and commitment I have in these domains and how much I am training to increase my knowledg and what I feel my limitations are.
Spiritually- 8
Physically-8
Psychologically-8

III Goal development:

List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.
Physical- My goal is to start one-on- one- training with my fitness trainer within the next 30 days.
Psychologically - My goal is to develop and increase in mental training by utilizing the practices I have learned and to practice mind or meditation daily every morning within the next week.
Spiritual- To develop and understand my inner spiritual gift by seeking to God and to begin utilizing it beginning now.

IV Practices for personal health:
What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.
Physical-
 I attend the fitness club usually on Tuesday through Thursday and my school work has been a challenge on Mondays which lessened my chances of working out on Mondays. I will start the first Monday in May, and continue to attend on Mondays.
 Continue my weight loss plan to lose to a size 14-16 by the end of May, 2010.
Spiritual-
 Develop a set time for prayer and God every morning from 5AM to 5:30AM daily.
 Attend the workshops that Kingdom University schedules. The next one will be my graduation the end of May 2010.
Psychologically- Increase my understanding of mental training and practice one of the practices daily such as subtle mind, mindfulness, etc.
 Create work books on mental awareness, continue my education, and attend workshops on Health and wellness. Work on my developing my saxophone playing, work on creating CD’s for healing.

V Commitment:
How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?
I already have a journal that I keep information that is important and relative to eating and exercise. I will make a new journal next week that will have progress check points and use this workbook for keeping and monitoring my progress on more areas like fitness, eating, personal goals and a special section for Spiritual, Physical and Mental follow-up. I will create a commitment contract that I will sign and acclaim to do in progressing toward my goal of walking in the path of “Integral Health” and my life in Christ Jesus.
Brenda F. Alexander, R.N.

4 comments:

  1. Prayer is a very important aspect of spiritual wellness, this suprises me becuase you already seem so much more healthy than I am in this area. I wish you the best of luck with your nutrition and fitness as well. I am very excited in contiuing my work towards integral health and well being. I have enjoyed you blog each week and am going to miss the inspiriation! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    good luck with your goarl, I would say I share your goal about dropping couple sizes of my own. I am always size 12 but recently as my back injury worsened I was bordering size 14 and that just scared me because in my case the more weight I put the worst my back get and the more my back hurt the less I move and the more weight I put, so I had to break the cycle. I am doing fine but unfortunatelty real workout is out of the question, but I ride my bike every day and watch what I eat.
    Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it Brenda, your goal is conquered because you have the resiliance and motivation to achieve what ever it is you put your mind to. I agree with your intro as well, “Practice what you preach”. I am a firm believer in that statement. How can one preach about something they have no idea about themselves? As health and wellness professionals, it is important that we ourselves seek psychological, spiritual, and physical well being in order to best guide our clients/patients. We all fall short in some areas but if we understand that we are a continuous piece of work and we always strive for what God wants for us we will conquer any obstacle or bump in the road! Our lives today are very complex thus making it more difficult to achieve an overall feeling of wellness. The definition for wellness includes many dimensions of our lives. To maintain health, all dimensions of our lives need to be addressed. If we invest too much time in one or two of these dimensions, the others will suffer, resulting in a decrease of our overall wellness. All dimensions relate to and affect each other. Ballance is the KEY! I suspect that many of us justify our own busy lives by making the excuse that Jesus was busy too. But was he as busy as we seem to be? When I developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome six years ago, partly as a result of overwork, I spent almost a year recovering and had plenty of time to reflect on what I had done wrong and what I could have done differently. I spent a lot of time reading through the gospels specifically asking myself the question: How did Jesus spend his time on earth? It was an enlightening study as I started to realize that Jesus really did have a very balanced life. There were times when he was really busy but those were usually balanced with more relaxed times when he walked and talked with his friends or withdrew into the hills to pray. Great Work Brenda! LUV YA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda,

    I wish you the best on your goals and life period. Fitness club is a good way to loose a lot of weight good for you keep it up. I need to set a time for prayer that is good that you do that every morning you will be so strengthen doing that. Keep working hard in life you will get where you need to go.

    ReplyDelete